X-Message-Number: 13613
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2000 10:48:24 -0400
From: "Raphael T. Haftka" <>
Subject: immigrations by Cryonicists

Mr. Kaburagi raised the issue of immigration to the US by retired Japanese 
cryonicists, as they cannot be legally suspended in Japan . He suggested 
that they may be help if they can get part time jobs here.

 From my experience with immigration, counting on employment as a way to 
obtain permanent residence status is likely to be a problem with older 
people and part time jobs. Instead two other options are probably easier.

First, it is not difficult to immigrate as a businessman. I do not know 
what is the amount that is needed for that currently. A few years ago it 
was $250,000. Since many Japanese take care of their own retirement via 
savings, it is probably possible for them to transfer some of these savings 
to the USA so as to qualify for this option.

The other option is to apply for immigrant status a few years in advance. 
There is always some places reserved for people that apply without any 
employment connection. Since very few Japanese try to immigrate to the US, 
it may not be difficult to obtain a visa that way if you simply wait 5-10 


Raphael (Rafi) Haftka                                   
University of Florida                                   phone:352-392-9595
Department of Aerospace Engineering,                    fax: -7303
Mechanics and Engineering 
Science                       http://www.aero.ufl.edu/~haftka
Gainesville, FL 32611

Rate This Message: http://www.cryonet.org/cgi-bin/rate.cgi?msg=13613