X-Message-Number: 5923
From:  (Thomas Donaldson)
Subject: for Mike Perry and John Sharman
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 1996 22:48:40 -0800 (PST)

Hi again!

This is a sad point for Mike Perry:

I like the probabilistic argument for the possibility of immortality too. 
However we should not forget the other side of that argument. I may have a 
98% probability of living forever, but take 1 million people and 2% of 
them (20,000 people, not a small number) will run into the other side
and never reach that immortality. Our finitude remains. It is only myths
that "live forever", and gods are myths.

Of course, this doesn't tell us not to try to bring down that probability
as much as we can, whenever we can, and by any means we can. Immortalism
isn't a belief that everyone CAN attain immortality, it is the aim of
trying to bring immortality to everyone.

And for our legal curmudgeon Mr. Sharman:

You have constantly repeated that you don't believe those suspended now
can be revived. At the same time, you seem unwilling to consider ANY
evidence and suggestions put forward by cryonicists to the contrary. AS
someone who believes that the only way to evaluate the possibility of
revival is to actually try to learn about the science involved, your
position is dogmatic in the extreme. Are you arguing against cryonics
because you like to argue, or because you want to learn something? If
is the latter, then I would gladly provide reading material.

As for Brian Wowk's comments, I will say that from what I have read
of your postings his claims about what you "said", though not literally
true, do follow logically from the statements you have made. That you
are far from alone in refusing to recognize the consequences of your
beliefs does not make those consequences any less valid. 

 			Best and long long life,

				Thomas Donaldson

Rate This Message: http://www.cryonet.org/cgi-bin/rate.cgi?msg=5923